An exciting back and forth affair ended in the Portage Terriers’ favour Saturday night as they beat the Swan Valley Stampeders 6-5 in overtime.

The Terriers dominated the chances and time of attack but it wasn’t reflected in the close score. It was due in large part to solid goaltending from Stampeder goalie Kyle Abrahamson. The Terriers out shot Swan Valley 60-29.

The game opened with a quick Stampeder goal from Dobie Unrau off the rush. Portage then controlled the play and started to find their footing. With players in the box from both teams, Grant Dardis tied the game at 4 on 4 off the post and in. Former Stampeder Ashton Fishley gave the Terriers their first lead minutes later when his point shot found its way through on the power play.

The Terrier line of Jesiah Bennett, Adler Johnston and Mighton Johnson played well throughout the night and they made it 3-1 late in the first off a goal mouth scramble. 3-1 Terriers after one.

In the second period Abrahamson kept his team in the game with some key saves. Quick strike offence was key for Swan Valley and Landen Gulatzan brought his team within one after another goal off the rush. 3-2 Terriers after 2.

Fishley gave the Terriers some insurance early in the third when he scored his second of the night. Down by two Swan Valley started to claw back. Will Brown scored back to back goals exactly five minutes apart. One was on a five on three power play. With the game tied, Gulatzan gave the Stampeders their first lead since the first period when he sent Jayden Catellier’s water bottle flying.

With time ticking down it looked like Swan Valley had completed the comeback. With the net empty, and the Terriers on the power play, Matthew Biros scored on a goal mouth scramble to send it to overtime.

In the extra frame Parker Korman played the hero snapping a perfect shot under the crossbar for the win.

The Terriers swept the season series with Swan Valley 4-0. Portage now gets ready for a home game against Neepawa on Wednesday.