... ALMOST CHRISTMAS! Well, maybe not the weather but everything and everyone else is starting to get into the holiday spirit as this week we'll reach the one month till Christmas countdown! With that said, let's delve into this week's What's the Happ.
- It's starting to get colder and colder out (although we know it'll get much worse) but if you want to warm up on Wednesday the First Presbyterian Church will hold a Meal-In-A-Bowl supper between 5 and 6. Mmmmmm.
- The Salvation Army is going to be quite busy for the next month as they'll be looking for support from the community for those in need. First up the annual kettle campaign kicks off on Thursday and will be set up throughout Portage businesses over the coming weeks, remember, any donation goes a long way so be sure to support the kettles.
- Always fun and always a great fundraiser, the Salvation Army Teddy Bear Toss goes this Saturday night when the Portage Terriers take on the Neepawa Natives. Once the Terriers get their first goal, have your teddy bears ready to throw on the ice in support of the Christmas Hamper Campaign. Always a fun night so make sure to be there, teddy bear in hand.
- Speaking of the Terriers, they also play Wednesday at home against Winkler in a big match up, game time 7:30 pm.
- If you have not got your coat yet from the Koats 4 Kids program, this Thursday is your last day to do so. Stop by Century 21 (the back entrance) between 2-5:30 and get there early for the best selection.
- With the holiday season upon us, there will be more and more get-togethers with family, friends, and co-workers to celebrate. The holidays are about spending time with those you love but they are not about drinking and driving (although there's never an acceptable time to do that) and starting this weekend you won't have to! Operation Red Nose begins it's campaign Friday and Saturday and will run right up until New Year's Eve!! (What! Yeah you can go out and celebrate the start of 2017 and they'll come pick you up) Such an amazing service, you call, they send three people out and take you AND your car to wherever you need to go. Once they do please make a donation to the Portage Minor Hockey Association as they get 100% of donations. Call them 239-5570 (put that in your phone ASAP) and keep the roads safe this Christmas and get home safely.
- BLACK FRIDAY.. that's this Friday, and Portage businesses will have loads of savings for you if you're trying to get some names crossed off your Christmas shopping list. Support local and get out there Friday, and unlike our neighbours to the south, try not to trample one another while doing so, there's plenty of deals for all :)