A health official reminds of the dangers with untreated surface water. 

Campers and cottagers are being reminded of the health risks of consuming untreated surface water. 


Whether they be from lakes, rivers, or ponds, and regardless of how clean they appear, the water may trigger illness. 


Shelley Buchan of the Central Regional Health Authority advises the one-minute boiling of surface water to kill whatever bacteria or virus may be lingering within.  If that isn't available, she notes chlorine and iodine chemicals can serve as an alternative. 


Buchan explains the symptoms of illness vary from vomiting to fever, lasting from a day to several.