The Portage Fire Department responded to a call last night about a housefire and luckily when they got there, the homeowner had already put it out.

The call went out at 7:45 p.m. on June 2nd, with the homeowner saying there was a grease fire in the house.

When the Portage Fire Department made it to the home, which is located just outside of Portage, the homeowner had extinguished the fire using a dry chemical extinguisher. The crew went into the house and confirmed there was no extension of the fire.

The department is thankful that the homeowner knew how to use their extinguisher, noting it was probably what saved their home.