Ottawa Jr Senators (CCHL) vs Cobras de Terrebonne (LHJQ)

The second day of the round-robin games began with an intense battle between the Senators and Cobras. Ottawa pulled out the victory 2-1, scoring the game-winner just over a minute into overtime.

Rookie Owen Protz opened the scoring in the first period. The defenceman had the puck at the point and fired a shot through traffic beating Nikolas Hurtubise high on the glove side. This power-play goal gave Ottawa a 1-0 lead. 

Steven Fournier responded in the second with a power-play marker of his own. Justin Veilleux had the puck at the side of the net, he tried to jam it in but was stopped. Fournier cut toward the puck and was able to tap the rebound into the wide-open cage.

The third period solved nothing, so the contest proceeded to overtime. In the extra frame, it was Massimo Gentile who played the hero role.

This was a very physical game with the two teams combining for less than 50 total shots. While that isn't necessarily their game plan, Gentile says they are confident in their ability to win in those conditions.

"I think we're a very versatile team. We're skilled when we need to be skilled and physical when we need to be physical," Gentile explains. "I think today we played our cards right. We stepped up when we had to. Had some big hit that brought us some good energy that we carried throughout the rest of the game."

The Ottawa Jr. Senators will look to stay undefeated today when they face off with the Brooks Bandits at 3:30. The Cobras will have a day to rest before getting back into action tomorrow against the Timmins Rock.

Big hit.


Timmins Rock (NOJHL) vs Yarmouth Mariners (MHL)

This one was quite the change of pace from the first game of the day as it was a tail of two offences. The Rock took down the Mariners 4-3 in overtime in a game that saw a total of 89 shots between the two teams.

A vast majority of the action came in the second period as Ryan Semple opened the scoring two minutes into the frame for Yarmouth but Nolan Ring tied it up less than a minute later. The Mariners took the lead back shortly after but Harry Clark and Thomas Beard found the back of the net within two minutes of each other to give Timmins their first lead of the game. 

The Rock held on until the final 21 seconds of the third period.

While they were only able to come away with two points instead of three, Timmins still was victorious in the extra frame as Ethan Pool put home his first of the tournament.

These two teams will get today to rest. Timmins will be back in action tomorrow afternoon against Cobras de Terrebonne, while Yarmouth will have two days off and return to the ice on Monday for a battle with the Ottawa Jr. Senators.

Timmins vs Yarmouth


Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) vs Portage Terriers (Host)

See the related story below for all the details.

Day three of the Centennial Cup continues today with the first game starting at 11:30. Click here for the full schedule.