It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas :) Countdown is now at less than two weeks which means if you're like me you really need to start actually doing some gift shopping.. Nah, still got 12 days. Anyhoo, what do you say we take a look at the week's events including a visit from Ol' Saint Nick himself!!

- Terrier hockey is taking over the MJHL Showcase Monday and Wednesday as the dogs play Selkirk to kick things off the first day (game at 7pm) and then Dauphin on Wednesday. All games for the showcase are at the MTS Iceplex in Winnipeg. Great chance for scouts to get eyes on the top prospects and for fans to see every team play in the same venue.

- United Way's push for their campaign goal continues as they reached the 63% mark last week. Still leaves 37% left of the $247,5000 mark to go and you can donate now or anytime over the next three weeks by calling 204-857-4440, portageplainsuw.ca or by stopping at their office in the city. Congrats to Mike Bjornson who won their 50/50 draw last week. Took home over seven grand.

- Kinda wishing I could go back to elementary school for the two weeks holiday kids get for Christmas. Not fair adults don't get one too haha But with time ticking until that break, Christmas concerts will be happening plenty in the next ten days. Find a complete schedule of them here.

- Since we survived that blizzard last week (somehow) a few of the events that were to take place have been pushed back. That is why the Central Plains Cancer Services 'Purple Hair Fundraiser' is happening this Wednesday instead of last and will still take place at the PCU Centre starting at noon. $10 gets you in, warmed up with soup and sandwich lunch, and you'll get to see the 13 community members who will have dyed their hair purple in support of all cancers and the Kids Can Cope program.

- Outdoor skating. Really doesn't get any more Canadian than that. Now that it's cold (like really really cold) the Koko Platz Community Club is hard at work getting their rink put in and plan to have it ready to go by mid-this week. 

- Curling. Really doesn't get any more Canadia... wait a minute. Alright so curling is also one of our favourite past times and the Portage Curling Club is looking to put the 'fun' in 'funspiel' with their Holiday Funspiel this Saturday. Dress in ugly Christmas sweaters, Easter apparel, Canada Day gear, or any other holiday theme you wish to choose and join them for a fun afternoon of curling that'll wrap up with a supper at 6pm. Registration is $80 a team and there's a 16 team maximum. Sign up now at portagecurlingclub.com

- The holidays are a perfect time of the year to spend it with family and loved ones. If that also involved alcohol it shouldn't lead to driving. Operation Red Nose is continuing their holiday dates Fridays and Saturdays this weekend. Please call them, don't hesitate, 204-239-5570. They'll come get you wherever you are between 9pm and 3am. Also, if you're interested in volunteering for New Year's Eve they still need about 8 teams (24 people) to fill spots. Anyone who does is joining the night where Operation HNC is the beneficiary of any donations and they're offering up a $100 gift card to all volunteers for December 31.

- Last but not least.. SANTA'S COMING!!!! Skate with Santa that is. Sunday the PCU Centre will have skate from 1:30-3:30 and then Santa will jump on his magical sleigh and make it to the BDO Centre shortly after 3:30-4:30. Can't wait and if you think I won't be the 23 year old adult chasing down Santa to tell him what I want for Christmas you'd be sorely msitaken haha

Happy Holidays :)

DiscoverWestman.com is Westman's only source for community news and information such as weather and classifieds.

Connect with Mix 96

Login